Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Turkey and Black Bean Taco Cups

The Super Bowl I can give or take.  Same with the usual game-day fare:  buffalo wings, mayonnaise-laced dips, greasy loaded potato skins, frozen prepared stuff that comes out of a box....



That being said, I sort-of watched the game this year (mostly just the second half) and I definitely did some eating.  So here you go, my version of game-day eats.



I've made wonton cups many times before, so this really wasn't an original idea for me but I loved the filling of taco-spiced turkey and black beans this time.  And the small size of these cups made eating them super easy, especially with a beer in the other hand.  You can find the Won Ton wraps wherever they sell the refrigerated tofu in your grocery store.  



Turkey and Black Bean Taco Cups
makes 24 muffin-sized cups
recipe inspired by Bev Cooks

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 sweet yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey (not extra-lean)
1 14.5 oz can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons taco seasoning (I generally use this recipe here) or 1 packet of your favorite taco seasoning
2 tablespoons water
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
24 Won Ton wrappers

cilantro, finely chopped green onion, diced tomatoes, greek yogurt or sour cream, guacamole - for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees*

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes more.  Remove onion and garlic to a medium sized bowl.

Add the ground turkey to your (now empty) pan and saute, breaking up with a spatula, until browned and cooked through, drain off any accumulated fat.  Add your taco seasoning and 2 tablespoons of water, stirring well to coat turkey and cook 1 minute.  Add black beans and your cooked onion and garlic mixture back to the skillet, tossing everything together, cook 2 more minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as desired.

Spray two 12-cup muffin tins lightly with non-stick cooking spray and place one wonton wrapper into each cup, pressing the bottom and sides against the tin.  Bake the empty wrappers 3 minutes.

Remove from oven and fill each cup with a few tablespoons of the turkey and black bean mixture.  Top with about a teaspoon of the shredded cheese on each cup.  Return to the oven and bake 8-10 more minutes or until cheese melts and wontons crisp up, watching to make sure the edges do not burn.

Top each taco cup as desired with sour cream or greek yogurt, guacamole, diced tomatoes, cilantro or green onions.

*The original recipe calls for 350 degrees but I found that it took longer at this temperature, and my wontons did not get as crisp.  In my oven, 375 degrees was optimal but if you go with the hotter oven, just make sure to keep a close eye on your wontons so that they don't burn.




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I just made these. YUM! Thanks so much for the recipe! My 5 year old (who is quite the picky eater) says after eating one, "You know M om, I don't like these but I just ate one because it's something nice to do when you're 5." Yeah right. He loved them :)

    Also, I've never used wonton wrappers before and am excited to find new ways to cook with the leftover ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great! Thank you for sharing that with me. Kids just say the most hilarious things sometimes, don't they? Who knows where they come up with it!?!

      Delete

I love comments! Leave me some love!