Sunday, February 19, 2012

Salmon Omelette with Caramelized Onions, Spinach and Chevre

Continuing my theme of detoxing from the State Fair, this morning's breakfast was so delicious and so full of REAL foods.  I really can't entirely express my love for this omelette that Brian made me this morning.

Wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon, mild chevre, caramelized onions, spinach.  Could there be any combination of ingredients that is more delicious?  I think not.

These omelettes were big.  You could easily serve 4 with this recipe, making 4 smaller individual omelettes if you were to use a smaller saute pan.  Go ahead and add some chopped herbs if you have them on hand - chives or basil would be lovely.



Salmon Omelette with Caramelized Onions, Spinach and Chevre
serves 2

2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 eggs + 2 egg whites
4 oz wild alaskan sockeye salmon filet, cooked and flaked into small pieces (or thinly sliced smoked salmon)
1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 oz goat cheese/chevre, crumbled
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and add the sliced onions.  Saute onions in the butter, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes until soft and caramelized.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove from heat and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and egg whites and add salt and pepper.  Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Pour half the egg mixture onto the pan and allow to cook about 30 seconds until the bottom starts to cook.  Then, add the salmon, spinach, cooked onions and goat cheese and cook until eggs are mostly done.  Flip half of the omelette over the toppings and cook another few seconds, just to let eggs finish and to melt the cheese a bit.  Carefully slide the omelette onto serving plate.



Today we took Hudson for a nice long walk before the rain started, he loves his long walks with us on the weekends.  After that we came home and Brian and I did a little spring cleaning.  I definitely prefer cleaning on rainy days - when it's sunny outside and I'm trapped indoors I get really resentful.

This afternoon, I did an hour on the elliptical and 3 cycles of this ab workout:

25 regular crunches
25 bicycle crunches
25 leg raises
25 high and low reach sit-ups
right side plank (max hold)
forward plank (max hold)
left side plank (max hold)

While I was on the elliptical I finally watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix streaming on my iPhone.  I have lots of thoughts on it but it deserves its own post another time.

The rest of the day was relaxing:  Brian worked on our taxes and I caught up on reading some magazines and then baked some quinoa cookies (!).  I still need to do some tweaking of the recipe so it's not quite ready to share yet but I had lots of fun eating the rejects ;-)

Tomorrow is President's Day!  Brian and I are planning to hit the gym early and we have to take his car for service.  I have an appointment to see a Podiatrist about my foot and ankle issues in order to get some orthotics made for running.

Looking forward to another week!  

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!