Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pan-Fried Plantains and other Recent Eats

The other night for dinner I made deconstructed Mahi-Mahi taco salad with Grapefruit Salsa and some Pan-Fried Plantains on the side.  It was GOOD!


It was my first time making plantains at home and it was SUPER easy!


Pan-Fried Plantains
serves 2

extra virgin olive oil
1 ripe plantain (the blacker it is, the sweeter it will be)
salt and pepper
cinnamon or other spices (cayenne pepper, caribbean spice blend, garlic, etc. - whatever you like)

The first step is to make sure they're ripe - yellow with lots of black spots OR completely black is my preference.

Then peel it like a banana.  And cut it into about 1-2'' chunks.  Heat a little extra virgin olive oil (enough to coat the pan) in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Place the chopped plantains standing upright into the hot oil and sear 2-3 minutes or until golden on the bottom.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little cinnamon (or whatever spices you want).  Then flip 'em onto their other side, season them a little more and sear on the other side - make sure you watch them closely.  They can go from golden to burnt in just a few seconds!

Once they are softened and seared on both sides, remove them to a plate and use the back of a wooden spoon to smoosh them down (this is the FUN part).  Put them back into the hot oil and sear another 1-2 minutes per side until evenly golden on both sides. 


I've also been enjoying my Banana Chocolate Pecan cake that I made the other day.  The recipe isn't perfect yet, so I'm not ready to share it BUT it was pretty darn good.  I think I'm almost there, it just needs a little tweaking.


This morning's breakfast was SO satisfying.


1 slice of Ezekiel bread, toasted, with all-natural peanut butter and sliced bananas, scrambled eggs, and fruit salad on the side (strawberries, bananas and pink grapefruit from Brian's co-worker).


Happy Saturday!  Hope your weekend is off to a great start!

What are your weekend plans?  Please share, I'd love to know!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Weekend plans : I'm looking at your gourmet meals wishing I were there ! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave me some love!