Thursday, February 23, 2012

Egg-tastic Oatmeal

After my rather lengthy post this morning I completely forgot to mention my breakfast or yesterday's awesome workout.

Isn't that the whole point of this blog?  To share my (usually/mostly) healthy lifestyle with you guys and hopefully help inspire you at the same time?  Why yes, yes it is :-)


This morning I had a bowl of my Muscle Recovery Oatmeal.

I changed up the proportions a little today because I was feeling pretty darn hungry:

1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup water
1/2 cup egg whites
ground cinnamon and vanilla extract
1 packet of stevia (alternately, use a little sugar, honey, agave nectar or maple syrup)
4 or 5 strawberries, chopped
toasted coconut
small dollop of natural peanut butter

Oatmeal, water and egg-whites go into a small pot over medium-high heat.  Once it starts to bubble, I stir in cinnamon and vanilla extract, and I keep stirring so the eggs don't get clumpy.  Let it cook 2 or 3 minutes until everything is nice and thick.  Turn off the heat and stir in the stevia (or other sweetener).  Pour it into your serving bowl and top with berries, coconut and PB.


Not going to lie:  it tasted a little eggier than I usually like (due to the increased egg whites, obviously).  But for some reason I was OK with it today...maybe because of how hungry I was (?!)

My Chest and Triceps Workout always kills me:

Day 16:  3x10 each

Wide Pushups                          last set on my knees
Incline Dumbbell Press                        7.5#
Flat Bench Flyes                                  10#
Seated Cable Flyes                               35#
Bench Dips                                 legs straight out
Skull Crushers w/ EZ Bar                    20#
Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks               12.5#
Overhead 2-hand Tricep Extension      15#
Cable One-Arm Tricep Extension         NP*

*I didn't get to the Cable One-Arm Tricep Extension because these two people were hogging the machine for like 25 minutes yesterday.  They kept trading off, back and forth, working every single muscle group imaginable, and I got tired of waiting...ughh!


Before dinner, Brian and I went for a 3 mile run at 9:30 min/mile pace.  I had wanted to be down to 8:30 min/mile pace by now but I think it's going to take me quite a big more time before I can work my way up to that again.  Now that my left foot and ankle are feeling much better, I am slowly but surely increasing my miles back up again and hoping I can get back up to running 5 miles before Gasparilla in a week and a half (!)

My right big toe started hurting about 1 mile into the run but then the pain went away once I hit the second mile.  Not sure what's up with that but I can't worry about it too much right now since the Dr. told me it's not a stress fracture and that I just need some orthotics.

I'm just so happy to be able to get back into running again, even if I have to walk part of my Gasparilla race I don't even care.  A few weeks ago I was so bummed, thinking I might have to sit the whole race out.  Now I feel hopeful that I will be able to finish it, even if I have to walk part of the time or if my speed isn't where I want it to be.  There will always be another race but I'm just thankful that it looks like my feet and ankle issues won't stop me from running in this one! 


What do you do when someone (or more than one person) is hogging a piece of gym equipment for longer than is reasonable?  Do you say anything?  Do you patiently wait? Do you think it's appropriate for people to trade off back and forth on the one cable machine for 25 minutes when there are clearly other people waiting to use it?

http://lapetitemaisonverte.blogspot.com/2012/02/lemonade-out-of-lemons.htmlPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!