Saturday, March 3, 2012

Race Weekend

Well, the big day is (almost) here!

Tomorrow I'll be running in my first race, The Gasparilla Distance Classic 5+3K.  It's 8 kilometers (4.9 miles) along Bayshore Boulevard here in Tampa, Florida.  It's a flat, down and back course that I am very familiar with since Brian and I often run along this particular stretch of Bayshore.  It's actually a very scenic run I highly recommend for anyone visiting the Tampa area!

It has been so hot here, even in the morning lately that I have been getting a bit nervous about how that might affect my ability to run tomorrow. I just checked Accuweather and it says there will be a possible morning shower tomorrow and the temperature at the starting line should be about 61 degrees - perfect running temperature!  It also calls for 20 mph winds at 9 am (starting time) and since Bayshore is right on the water, prime location for wind gusts, I think this may affect a lot of people who were hoping to PR.  I have run Bayshore with 20 mph winds before and let's just say it doesn't make it easy.  Here's hoping it's a crosswind!  Or that we have a tailwind on the return leg!

Today, in preparation for tomorrow's run I have several items to keep in mind:

First, and foremost HYDRATION!  I'll be drinking good old water all day today 'til the cows come home (what does that expression even mean?!) If there is one thing I have learned in my short running career, it's that I MUST be hydrated if I expect to be able to run AT ALL.  I am incredibly affected by lack of proper hydration, so I'll have my trusty water bottle in hand all day today.  Let's just hope I'm never too far from a restroom :-)

FUEL!  I have gotten advice from many people NOT to eat a big, crazy pasta dinner the night before the race (unless I want to have to pay a visit to the port-a-johns during my run!).  I'm sure that's especially true for me because I don't really eat pasta very often at all anyways, and when I do it's in small amounts.  Basically, the advice I have gotten is to eat normally in the days leading up to the race but just a slight bit more than I might ordinarily, as opposed to eating one big meal the night before.  I don't know exactly what I'm having for dinner tonight, but it will be a good mix of macros:  carbohydrates, protein and fat to fuel my run tomorrow morning.  (I do however have tomorrow night's lunch planned for after the race:  a burger and fries.  It has been so long since I have eaten a hamburger so I'm rewarding myself with the promise of a nice juicy buffalo burger and some crispy fries afterwards.  Can. not. wait.)

MOTIVATION!  Running really is a mind game.  Probably especially for me because I live inside my head so much of the time and frequently doubt myself, in a lot of aspects of life, not just running.  I am SO LUCKY that Brian is going to be running with me tomorrow.  He could run 5 miles in his sleep so it's really not going to be a challenge for him, but he has offered to help pace me to victory and provide some moral support and motivation during the race if I need it.


That said, the motivation has to come from within too, I can't just rely on Brian to push me along tomorrow.  Tina's post this morning could NOT have come at a better time.  She posted some motivational quotes for getting inspired about working out.  Here are a few of my favorites:

source

source

source

source

Check out Tina's site to see the rest of her motivational quotes, and also check it out just because it's awesome!

And last, but not least, BREATHE!  Sometimes I need to remind myself to just relax and take a deep breath.  It's all going to turn out OK.  Whether I run the whole race or have to walk part of it, whether my tendonitis acts up or not, whether I have bunion pain or I don't, whether there is a 20 mph headwind for the entire duration of the race or there isn't...everything is actually going to be OK.


Breakfast this morning was a half a pink grapefruit, some papaya and a breakfast burrito.  The picture I took is actually Brian's plate (I could never eat that much, my portion was about 1/2 the size).


The burrito was filled with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, black beans, red and green bell peppers and onions.  And I drizzled a little Mrs. Renfro's Salsa Verde inside too. Delish!  Of course I had 2 big glasses of water and two cups of coffee too.  


We're off to the Fitness Expo to pick up our race bibs and check out the freebies!  So excited for my first RACE expo :-)


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!