Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Take on One-Ingredient "Ice Cream"


Creamy Chocolatey Goodness
Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably seen and (hopefully) tried the infamous "One-Ingredient Ice Cream."  You know: the seemingly magical process whereby you take chunks of frozen bananas, pulse them in your food processor for a few minutes, scraping down the sides every once in a while, and with a little patience you are rewarded with a luscious soft-serve-like frozen treat?  Yup, that's the one I'm talking about:  Magic Banana Ice Cream is what I call it.   


Well, it's a staple in our house.  Just ask Brian, he'll tell you:  if I'm not hoarding bananas for my banana bread, I'm hoarding them for this banana ice cream.  


This is your ticket to magic banana ice cream town.



I have to admit taking a few liberties with the original recipe so mine isn't usually made with only one ingredient.  Still, it's about as quick a dessert as I've ever seen and I almost always have everything I need on hand!  Way easier (and healthier) than making the trip to the Fro-Yo place around the corner.  I usually add about a teaspoon of regular or dark cocoa powder in the food processor with the frozen banana since I am a self-admitted chocoholic.  I also really enjoy adding a teaspoon of natural peanut butter or almond butter too on occasion.  And I find that a teensy pinch of salt helps round out the sweetness, and about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract adds some depth of flavor.  And let's not forget the toppings!  They're not necessary but come on, when you're eating a frozen banana for dessert, you can splurge a little on toppings.  Some of my favorite combinations are:  


*a dollop of fresh, homemade, lightly-sweetened whipped cream with a teaspoon of chocolate jimmies   
*a tablespoon of Reece's Pieces
*some chopped salted peanuts and chocolate chips (about 1 tablespoon of each)
*dark chocolate chips (about 1 tablespoon) , mini marshmallows (1 tablespoon) and crumbled graham crackers (1/2 of a cracker) - S'mores!!!
*a tablespoon each of dried blueberries and dark chocolate chips
*Nutella (you can never use too much)


I also think it would be fantastic with some caramel sauce drizzled on top but there's a reason I don't keep that in the house.....(total lack of self-control).


S'mores!



Some other notes on the original recipe:  I've never just frozen the bananas for an hour or two so I cannot vouch for how it will turn out.  I usually slice up a few ripe bananas and place them on a plate covered with parchment paper, then freeze overnight.  Once they're frozen solid, I toss them all into a freezer-safe ziploc bag or plastic container and keep them in the freezer until the need for something sweet and creamy strikes.  Then I whip them out and toss them in my mini food-processor and go to town!  Just be forewarned, you will have to scrape down the sides of your food processor many times during the process.  I also find that letting the mixture sit for a few seconds (5-10) in between pulses with the food processor helps allow the bananas to melt a little which allows it to come together into that creamy texture you're looking for.  


Yup, that's a plastic spoon.  I was fresh-out of real spoons...but that couldn't stop me from gettin' my ice cream fix.



Let me hear how you make your One-Ingredient Magic Banana Ice Cream!  What toppings do you like to use?







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!