Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken...doesn't have to be boring!

B and I like to eat as healthy as we can, adding lots of layers of flavor to our food without adding a lot of extra fat and calories. Since chicken breast is a lean source of protein, I often find myself looking for new and delicious chicken recipes to add to my repertoire. This recipe looked easy (and it was) and I already had all the ingredients on hand so I thought I'd give it a try. Plus, it is cooked on the grill so that means B gets to do the hard work!! I made some vegetable skewers to serve this with - I just sliced up some red onion, zucchinni, yellow squash and red bell pepper, drizzled them with a little EVOO and a dash of salt and black pepper and had B put them on the grill along with the chicken. They were delicious! For a healthy carbohydrate side-dish, I made a few servings of quick-cooking brown rice. I hadn't eaten rice in a long time but it really hit the mark with these flavorful chicken and vegetable kabobs. I'll be making this meal again!

P.S. This chicken would probably be really good served in pita bread with some tzaziki sauce as a chicken gyro! I think we'll try that soon!



Garlic Lemon Chicken Kabobs
Adapted from Annie's Eats ,recipe originally posted here




3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ¾-inch pieces


In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix to coat with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.

Prepare a medium fire in a grill. Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak skewers in water for 20 minutes before adding chicken) and discard the excess marinade.

Lightly oil the grill grates. Place the kabobs on the grill, cover, and cook until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 8-12 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!