Wednesday, April 4, 2012

PB&J Oatmeal

It's been a HOT minute since my last post!

HOT because temps have been getting into the HIGH 80's here in Tampa for the last few weeks.  Yikes!

With starting a new job and getting into a new routine, things have been a little hectic around la petite maison verte so something had to give.  Unfortunately, that something was my free time to blog {super sad sad face!!}  I missed it, I felt like my life was...lacking something.  But I just didn't have the energy to do it.

BUT, I never stopped cooking or baking or eating (duh) or taking pictures.  So, now that my energy is coming back and my free time is free once again, I will be sharing things that have been helping to keep my life sane over the last few weeks.



First and foremost: breakfast.  My darling breakfast.  My favorite meal of the day.  The moment of calm before the storm.  Alright, I admit that last one may have been a tad melodramatic but you see where I'm going....

This morning's concoction was a nod to National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day.  Wait, what?  You didn't know April 2 was National PB&J Day?!  Actually, I didn't either, hence why I'm eating my PB&J this morning.


PB&J Oatmeal
serves 1

1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal
2/3 cup water (or a little more if you like your oatmeal kinda soupy - I used about 1 cup water today)
1/2 ripe banana, chopped/mashed (for sweetness, or substitute sugar/sweetener of choice)
cinnamon
vanilla extract (just a drop, optional)
all natural unsweetened peanut butter
homemade strawberry jam
chia seeds

Combine the oatmeal and water in a small pot on the stove over medium high heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.  Stir in the chopped banana or your sweetener of choice, a sprinkle of cinnamon and the vanilla extract.  Serve the oatmeal with a dollop of PB, a heaping spoonful of homemade strawberry jam and chia seeds on top.


Breakfast was the perfect fuel for my full day ahead.  I'm going to spend this glorious day off work doubling up on workouts (since I missed yesterday and I'll miss Thursday, stupid work) and catching you up on our recent delicious eats.  Better get started!

P.S.  Did you see that homemade strawberry jam up there?  I'll be sharing the simple recipe for that, coming SOON!  You don't want to miss it!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!