Saturday, April 24, 2010

Why is it called "French Toast?"

Apparently, during WWII Americans wanted to distance themselves from everything German since they were "the enemy" at the time. As a result, what was once considered a German breakfast item then became termed "French Toast" - I guess we liked the French better during the 1940's.... Even though we now get along fine with Germany, I suppose the name stuck and it has been called French Toast ever since. That is until the French failed to support our government's position in the Iraq War and someone decided it was a good idea to call it Freedom Toast instead...how clever.


Anyhow, its French Toast to me (regardless of its actual country of origin - I've never seen it on the menu at any restaurant I visited in France). This morning my honey decided to sleep in a little later than usual but as for me, I just can't sleep once the sun wakes me up. Since he made me breakfast last weekend for our anniversary, I figured it was my turn to return the favor. Strawberries have been so inexpensive lately that I just can't resist picking up a carton every time I go to the grocery store. And we had a few bananas that would be too freckled to eat in just one more day or so...


So, I came up with Whole Wheat French Toast with strawberries and bananas. I don't have a recipe to share because french toast is just so simple. Just whisk up a few eggs with some milk, add a splash of vanilla extract (optional) and dip in your bread. Then fry it on both sides in a little butter over a medium-high heat. Serve, dusted with powdered sugar, and dripping with maple syrup. Enjoy!
Please forgive my photography, I'm still learning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave me some love!